Tuesday, January 08, 2008

2 minutes of fame

I get a call yesterday afternoon from the Better Business Bureau yesterday. My immediate thought was, "What did I DO?". Well, here's the story:

I signed up for a weight loss study through a company in December 2006 as advertised through the "Backpage" - an online classifieds in Denver. This study was for "Metacor Labs - Progenics Inc". It is eerily familiar to a current Evaril II study (that's currently ON the Backpage) in wording, contact sheet, and asking for a deposit & such.

In a nutshell, I was to send a $144 deposit which would be returned, along with a $319 monthly stipend after the first month materials were consumed & paperwork sent in. I signed up and promptly received my first month supply of the weight loss "drugs". My deposit was not cashed until 1/10/07. I sent my first month's paperwork back on 1/26/07 and as of my last contact with a Mr. Jack Edwards on 2/8/07, I did not receive my 2nd month supply nor my deposit back as promised. The e-mail I received on 2/8/07 promised that, "Consideration is being given to the possibility of closing the study cohort in which you are enrolled. If this happens, you will receive a return of your deposit. If not, you will receive your package and all else. I will let you know when I find out myself." This is verbatim and in writing.

After sending tons e-mails and getting no response, I sent this to the BBB in April 07 and they could not get ahold of anyone at this place, which had a PO box in Denver for their address, so they disregarded my "case". If you search the BBB in Denver, you'll find info about Metacor/Progenics in there, and the information is not very flattering!

Well...the lady who called yesterday from the BBB said that BBB's across the US had a rash of weight loss scams (this being one of them), and they wanted to know if I had heard anything from the company. When I said "no", I was asked if I'd be interested in talking to the news media about my experience. I immediately said, "Of course, why not!". Within 20 minutes - NO B.S.! - I got a call from one of our Channel 9 news reporters, and they showed up at 4:30 yesterday afternoon! I was on the 9 and 10pm news shows! Jaina was running around through the shots & stuff the whole time...which they thought was cute since I am a SAHM and all.

So - here's a link to the article and video segment from 9news.com:

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=84068

No comments: